The Disney Adventure

The Disney Adventure
The Cinderella Castle!

Saturday, June 18, 2011

City on Fire

I've never been as disappointed in Canada as I was this week. The riots in Vancouver after the Canucks lost the Stanley Cup were devastating. It's been really tough being over here this week. Not only worrying about friends in Vancouver, but also dealing with the reactions of the Americans. I spend a majority of my time here dealing with prejudice and ignorance towards Canada. I have spent so much time explaining to my coworkers and guests how beautiful Canada is, how it's not all covered in snow, how we do have cities and culture and how amazing Canadians are. And then something like this happens. I'm so sad about the whole thing. Although to our credit, it looks like we are pulling it together. There has been so many people banding together with a 'love our city' attitude. Which is really nice to see. It's amazing how passionate people are about sports. I see it all the time here with college sports. In Florida, the Gators sports teams are like gods. For us, it's hockey. At the end of the day, I'd rather live in a society that is passionate, even if sometimes that passion isn't properly channeled. All my love to everyone at home, and I hope that no one I know was part of the destruction!

No comments:

Post a Comment