The Disney Adventure

The Disney Adventure
The Cinderella Castle!

Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Branching Out

So the second week begins. Today I had an opening shift,  started at 6:30 am, and was finished in time to have some meetings with my managers. I sat down with my banquet supervisors and talked about my goals for co-op and how they can help me and what I'm hoping to accomplish while I'm here. Basically, my goals that I want their help with are:
    1. Learn as much as I can within my department and from them specifically.
    2. Learn as much as I can from other departments within the hotel.

I have other goals too, but those are my personal goals and they can't really help me, we can discuss those later. Both of my immediate supervisors were really enthusiastic and willing to help me. I asked if I can come in on my own time and learn more about the computer system and billing and whatnot and they said absolutely. I also asked for their assistance in procuring more shifts in different departments, which they were more than happy to do. I've already spoken to the manager of the dining room as well as the room service manager and concierge manager.  All of them have been very happy to keep me in mind for shifts. I need to take a photocopy of my drivers license to the controller and then I'll be able to go on the on-call list for bellman shifts, which is something I've never done before, so I'd love to do that.

We have a really amazing management team with tons of experience and I feel like I can learn a lot from all of them. I really feel like I just want to soak up knowledge while I'm here. Even in departments that aren't my forte. Our pastry chef was voted best in Canada last year and he's amazing. The things that come out of that kitchen are unreal. I'm hoping to get a chance to work in the pastry kitchen with him a few times. I think that spending time around someone who is internationally respected at what they do is a huge opportunity for me. Whether it be pastry chef or banquet manager, anyone who has reached such a high level in their field will be able to teach me so much in general, not just about their specific area. I think there's a lot for me to learn this summer and I'm really excited about it.

After I spoke with my managers, I went and had a little meeting with the HR director, I hadn't had a chance to talk to her since I started and wanted to touch base. I told her about my goals and how I want to pick up shifts in other departments and learn as much as possible and she was very supportive and enthusiastic. She encouraged me to absolutely approach everyone that I want to work with and reminded me that if I ever need anything she's always available. I feel like everyone has been really fabulous and they are all really helpful and wonderful. And my co-workers are so awesome. It's going to be a fabulous summer, I can just taste it!!

No comments:

Post a Comment