The Disney Adventure

The Disney Adventure
The Cinderella Castle!

Thursday, April 29, 2010

Banquets

So, today is day two of working. It's been a long time since I worked banquets and I forgot how much I love it. I also forgot how much work it is!! And it's definitely a higher standard of service than I've ever worked. It's little things, like the crown on the china side plates must line up with the napkin. Attention to detail!! I love it. Long days, yesterday I worked from 9am - 9pm and today from 11am-7pm. Which I also love. The uniforms get laundered everyday which is awesome, but I discovered today that if you don't drop off your uniform daily the laundry ladies get REALLY angry and find you and take your uniform off you and give you a new one. True story, it happened. There's a collection of really awesome people working in banquets, from all over the place. Lots and lots of Aussies. LOTS. And a few Canadians. I haven't run into many other BCers. Except there are 4 people that started when K and I did that are from VIU, which was random, all 6 of the new people the day we started were from the island. So random. I also forgot how much banquet workers resemble vultures when it comes to eating. As soon as the buffet comes down everyone swarms and gathers as much food as possible before the trolleys go back to the kitchen. If you've never seen 12 hungry banquet staff who've been working since 6am let loose on a bunch of food, I'd advise watching sometime. It's hysterical. I definitely miss home a lot. Although if I keep working this much I won't have time to miss it. The banquets managers are fantastic. All characters, and very VERY particular about the room setups, but very nice and approachable and friendly. I already feel at home in the department and I've only been there 2 days. Still loving the wildlife here. We saw a little chipmunk-type thing while walking the other day. So cute, we watched it run around and climb a tree and I named it Jimmy. And then it promptly ran into the road and got run over. Right in front of us. Poor little Jimmy. And on that note, here is a picture of an Elk. And no, I didn't pet it, even though I REALLY REALLY wanted to!!

I named this one Joe.

No comments:

Post a Comment